Visitor

IPMI Identification DVI I/O FMC

Hi,

I am using the Avnet DVI I/O FMC module from AVNET with xilinx ML605 board. I was referring to This Guide. I had doubts in understanding some of the stuff in Page 9 of the hardware guide of DVI I/O FMC.

It is stated that before the module is powered-up, the carrier must identify the FMC module. 

-> Is it referring to IPMI Identification ?

-> My understanding is that I need to implement an IIC Master inside the FPGA to communicate with the module for IPMI Identification. Once done I need to send a handshake or acknowledgement signal of some sort. Is my understanding correct ? If so how do I send a handshake to the FMC module ?

Could anybody please verify whether my understanding is correct ?

Thank you.

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: IPMI Identification DVI I/O FMC

Anand,

The IPMI Identification is an optionnal feature.

I used this in the IVK's EDK designs to verify that the expected FMC module was present.

I used this identification step before driving the outputs to the FMC module.

The FMC specification does state that a carrier should identify the hardware before powering it on,

this is not done in any of our reference designs.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Mario Bergeron.

Visitor

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the confirmation. So I need to connect the board and check for PRSTN_M2C_L signal to go low and configure the DVI Transmitter and receivers (TFP403 and TFP410) and the Clock Synthesizer CDCE913 to get the video up and running through the board right ?

Yes, that is correct.

If you are doing a pass-through, you will not need the clock synthesizer, as the TFP403 will provide the pixel clock.

There is an HDL (VHDL and Verilog) passthrough example design on the S6-IVK's DRC page:

www.em.avnet.com/spartan6video

Which FMC carrier are you using for your development ?

Mario.

Visitor

Hi mario,

I am using the xilinx virtex ML605 development board and the avnet DVI I/O FMC connected to the HPC connector of the board.

Anand,

You can also take a look at the following app notes from Xilinx,

which make us of the ML605 + FMC-DVI hardware:

XAPP521 - Bridging Xilinx Streaming Video Interface with the AXI4-Stream Protocol

Regards,

Mario.

Visitor

Hi mario,

Thanks for the information
Visitor

Hi Mario,

I need to implement a DVI pass-through (i.e. I just want to connect a computer as a DVI input and get the same signal in the output port, without doing any processing on the information) using the AVNET DVI I/O FMC with my new Zedboard. As far I understand, I can re-use the dvi_in and dvi-out VHDL modules already given in the design reference. However, what is not clear to me is how to use the I2C configuration module.

According to the documentation, it says that this I2C module is used to configure/initialise the DVI hardware peripherals, however in not mention anywhere in the reference design tutorial which are the parameters/registers that we are supposed to configure/initialise ?

Do you know which are these parameters or register we need to configure and which are the values or options we can choose ? I think a more fundamental question would be, what happen in the case I decide not to initialise the DVI module and just use the predefine configuration, is it going to work or show any output video by just interconnecting the DVI_in and DVI_out accordingly?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Snaider