Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

reducing the frame rate of a VITA-2000 camera to 30 FPS using software modification

Hi,

I have been working with a VITA 2000 image sensor along with the FMC Imageon. This is connected to a ZC706 board. I wanted to reduce the frame rate of the image sensor to 30 FPS (instead of 60 which is the default). I read somewhere that altering the CDCE913 PLL in one of the auto generated files could be useful in changing the FPS, however I could not figure out how and which registers to manipulate (associated with the PLL) or even how to get to those registers. Or is there another way?

Also, is it possible to reduce the FPS and yet maintain the resolution, maybe at the expense of the data transfer rate?

Any and all help would be appreciated as I am new to this.

Thanks.

Regular Visitor

Re: reducing the frame rate of a VITA-2000 camera to 30 FPS using software modification

@AlbertaBeef Do you have any insights on this?
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: reducing the frame rate of a VITA-2000 camera to 30 FPS using software modification

The VITA-2000 design makes use of a trigger generator in the programmable logic to determine the frame rate.

The HDL source for the VITA receiver core provides documentation for the TRIGGEN_CONTROL register.  Here is an excerpt:

0xE0 - TRIGGEN_CONTROL

[ 2: 0] TRIGGEN_ENABLE[2:0]

[ 6: 4] TRIGGEN_SYNC2READOUT[2:0]

[ 8] TRIGGEN_READOUTTRIGGER

[ 16] TRIGGEN_EXT_POLARITY

[ 24] TRIGGEN_CNT_UPDATE

[30:28] TRIGGEN_GEN_POLARITY[2:0]

0xE4 - TRIGGEN_DEFAULT_FREQ

0xE8 - TRIGGEN_TRIG0_HIGH

0xEC - TRIGGEN_TRIG0_LOW

0xF0 - TRIGGEN_TRIG1_HIGH

0xF4 - TRIGGEN_TRIG1_LOW

0xF8 - TRIGGEN_TRIG2_HIGH

0xFC - TRIGGEN_TRIG2_LOW

The TRIGGEN_SYNC2READOUT[2:0] bits determine the trigger mode:

001 => internal trigger (invoked every TRIGGEN_DEFAULT_FREQ delay)

010 => manual trigger (invoked via TRIGGEN_READOUTTRIGGER bit)

100 => external trigger

In order to change the frame rate, locate the code that configures the TRIGGEN_DEFAULT_FREQ, and adjust the value for your desired frame rate.

Mario.

Thank you for the reply 

I am trying to send the camera image over the network but the problem is may be the network interface would not be able to support real time transmission. 

So do you other ideas to decrease the camera data amount other than the frame rate ?

Regular Visitor

Thank you very much Mario. I got a much deeper understanding of what can be done by editing the automatically generated code because of this. So Kudos to that!

Also, would you have a simple reference design for a ZC-706 board? I saw another one of your posts
http://community.em.avnet.com/t5/FMC-HDMI-I-O-VITA-Image-Sensor/FMC-IMAGEON-VITA-Getting-Started-des...

in which you posted a reference design for ZC-702 and the Zedboard. Could I use that for a ZC-706? I am using PlanAhead 14.4

Thanks again Smiley Happy
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Hello,

I have a ZC706 design for the FMC-HDMI-CAM FMC module.

http://microzed.org/sites/default/files/design/FMCHC_PYTHON1300C_Tutorial_2015_4_01.zip

Note that most of the pin locations for the FMC-HDMI-CAM are the same as the FMC-IMAGEON, with the exception of the camera interface interface, so you can reuse the pin location constraints for those pins.

You can reuse most of the pin locations in one of the following XDC files for your ZC702+FMC-IMAGEON+VITA project:

- zc702_hpc_fmchc_python1300c.xdc

- zc702_lpc_fmchc_python1300c.xdc

You will need to find the pin locations yourself from the ZC702's schematic for the VITA camera pins.

Regards,

Mario.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you, I shall try this and hope this can give me a better understanding about everything involved. Thanks again.