Visitor
Accepted Solution

Problem accessing VMware image

I tried accessing the Vmware image copied during the Speedway class and am getting the following error message:

"Error while powering on: Unable to open file "C:\...\Ubuntu-10.04-Beagleboard-Speedway.vmdk": Insufficient permission to access file"

Checked file security settings and I am in the Administrators group with Full Control privileges.

I am using VMware Player 4.0.0 build-471780 (just downloaded) on a Dell Windows 7 64-bit laptop.  I have another desktop machine with an older Vmware Workstation setup, that unfortunately is incompatible with this image.

Can anyone enlighten me on what I am not doing right?  I am anxious to get started on my own ...

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: Problem accessing VMware image

What image did you get during the class?  The compressed .7z file or did you happen to copy the unpacked virtual machine directory?

This sounds like you might have a permissioning problem in Windows.   What do you see when you right-click on the file and then select "properties" and then the "Security" tab?

Visitor

John,

Thanks for quick response.

I copied the .7z file (6,791,8596,654 bytes).  Testing the archive using WinRAR shows no errors.  Just calculated the md5 checksum and it is fa0d01b61184fc3336c5b31cfd7e0c64.

The Security properties window is also attached (with certain info blocked out).

I am totally baffled by this error, and appreciate any help that you can provide.

Best regards.

ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 08 12.28.jpg

Can you try running VMware Player as Administrator and see if that works?

I don't have the md5sum on the original file handy - will need to get this to you to ensure that the file is not corrupted somehow.  I will post that when I have it.

Visitor

Re: Problem accessing VMware image -- solved

John,

I uninstalled VMPlayer 4.0 and installed 3.1.3 to match the version of VMPlayer that was used in the image.  No change -- still had access permission problems.

Played around some more and I think I resolved it.  The Security dialog box I attached previously was of the compressed .7z file.  Noticed that the check marks were a faded shade.  I then accessed Security properties of the uncompressed folder and forced permissions to Full Control, and now everything works!!

Sorry for the false alarm.

Best regards.

Glad it was solved.  Thanks!

By the way, the md5sum of the VMware image file for the SpeedWay:

Ubuntu-10.04-Beaglboard-Speedway-20111108.7z:  fa0d01b61184fc3336c5b31cfd7e0c64

Visitor

Hi John,

I am having the same problem.  When I am running VMWARE it does not recognize the image file.  I have done all the ideas that was posted like changing the permision and etc.

Please hep.

Thanks,

mmsya

Hi Mmsya,

If you could post some details about what you are seeing that might be helpful.  We haven't seen any permission issues internally and so we only hear about them from customers. 

What VMWare Player version are you using?

Thanks,

John

Visitor

Hi John,

Thank you for you respond.  I am running VMWARE version 4.0.0 build-471780 and I have a copy of Ubuntu-10.04-Beagleboard-Speedway-20111008.7z file.  I unzip this file with 7-zip when I loaded into the VMWARE it asks for image file but the image file does not exist.  I can not find it in the unzipped directory therefore I can not create the UBUNTU 10.4 as we did in the class.

High Regards,

mmsya

vmware_img.png