Visitor
Accepted Solution

tftp booting

Hi John,

I am not still sure if my setup networking is correct.  Please see the attached file and let me know if my IPV4 setting is correct?  I was also wondering if I place the PC host physical address for the MAC address in the Wired tab it would be correct?

Thanks,

Ali.

tftp_booting.jpg
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: tftp booting

I can't tell much from your screen capture.   We have never had to manipulate the MAC addresses of any of the virtual machines, so I would not do that if I were you.

How is your network set up?  Our default configuration is to set all of the IP addresses manually.   That way, there is not a problem with discovering what the server IP address should be.  But, in some cases a manual IP config isn't possible since a DHCP server might be managing all of the available IP addresses.

In Ubuntu, once you have set an IP address manually (or automatically), you can click on the network icon on the top left of the menu bar to reinitialize/refresh the interface.  When that is done, you should be able to run ifconfig in a terminal window and that should reflect the IP address you have set manually, or it will also tell you what the IP address of the Linux machine is if you get if via DHCP.  In any case, that is what becomes your serverip in u-boot on the target (beagleboard-xM).

Here is some helpful information on configuring the network interfaces in Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/network-configuration.html

Since this is a forum, it is easier to show you how to do this via the command line and using configuration files than using the desktop.

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

It is also helpful to test networking in stages so that if something isn't working, you know what might be wrong.

The first thing is to test to make sure that networking is working on the Linux host.  If you've provided it a Gateway IP and DNS servers, and access to the outside world, then you can check this by opening a browser to Google or other external site.  If you don't have access to the outside, then trying opening a terminal and pinging another machine on your LAN:

>  ping <IP address of another machine on your LAN>

Then, you can set the IP address of the target board (Beagleboard-xM in this case) and do the same thing to confirm that networking is functional on it:

U-boot> ping <IP address of the Linux host>

If you can ping the Linux host from the target, then you have good connectivity.  The next thing to try is to make sure that  TFTP is working on the Linux host.  I've written a short note on this here:

Setting up a TFTP Server on Ubuntu

Once a TFTP server is set up and working, you can try setting the serverip on the target and boot the board as described in the hands-on exercise we did in the seminar.

John

Highlighted
Visitor

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your help and being patient with my issue not beingle able to boot the beagleboard through tftp.  After I fixed the Address on IPV4SETTING I then was able to boot and was able to enable the LCD and display on it as well.  I do appreciate your help and comment once again,

Ali.