SDRAM sweet spot

I have an Atmel ARM9 embedded board with 16 MB SDRAM (2Mx8). I need more memory on the next hardware spin, but cost is tight. I'm looking for the sweet spot of manufacturer, package, voltage, organization, capacity, etc. for a larger memory. Any thoughts?

Administrator

Re: SDRAM sweet spot

[ Edited ]

Would want to know application and life cycle of product to give best support and advice.

In general: SDRAM is a legacy memory with good support for existing and new designs. Not lowest cost per bit "family" but still well supported for embedded designs. DDR2 is sweet spot but architecture (Memory controller) would need to support this type of memory interface.

For SDR SDRAM the sweet spot is 256Mb but available from 64Mb from 512Mb. I typically advise customer to design for full range for best long-life support.

The package is  compatible for all densities with additional address lines to support higher density.

Micron has recently announced it will shrink the process technology to provide for longer life support.

Standard configuration = X16.
Package = TSOP.
Speed = 133MHZ.

Micron part # example: MT48LC16M16A2P-75Smiley Very Happy (256Mb, X16, 133MHZ, TSOP)

Re: SDRAM sweet spot

Thanks, Techgirl.  I'm building an embedded component that has been designed to have a 5-7 year production life.  We're currently laid out for the part family you mention, but in BGA due to space requirements, and would be able to handle the larger sizes without a board spin.   I'm just doing some looking around with the memory manufacturers to see if we should make a move to something different on an upcoming cost-reduced version of the product.