Visitor

Avnet System Ace Module

I have been searching for a way to get my hands on the System Ace Module to use together with the AES-XLX-V5-LX110T-PCIe board which I have here.

I am not seeing it available for order anywhere anymore.

Is it still possible to source the SAM from anywhere?

If not, we are open to the possibility to make something functionally analogous ourselves.  Are the specs of the SAM connector open?  I would imagine the timings are not hard-fixed to something that would really necessitate a dedicated SAM controller chip in particular -- I guess throwing in a microcontroller interfacing through a bunch of GPIO pins would be enough?

(I think it is not really a requirement that the ISE sees the SAM as a SAM -- some homegrown protocol for the Virtex and the microcontroller to talk to each other would be as acceptable).

Highlighted
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: Avnet System Ace Module

Unfortunately, you can't purchase this module anymore. I have attached a zip file that contains the following documents:

1) ACE Controller Device Datasheet

2) SAM Schematics

3) SAM Users Guide

Good luck

hi,

he Xilinx Virtex-5 FXT Mini-Module Plus is the ultimate programmable system. Designed as a complete system on a module, the Mini-Module Plus packages all the necessary functions needed for an embedded processor system, onto a small footprint. System architects, FPGA designers, and board designers will find the flexibility of Virtex-5 FXT Mini-Module Plus ideal for high performance, embedded controller applications. The on-board PowerPC® 440 core provides processing horsepower, the 10/100/1000 Ethernet port along with the USB 2.0 port add networking capabilities, while the configurable I/O and the Gigabit transceivers (MGTs) offer versatile interface options.

The Virtex-5 FXT Mini-Module Plus is offered as a development kit, with a companion baseboard, power supply, software, and reference designs. The Mini-Module Plus is based on the Virtex-5 FX30T or FX70T FPGA from Xilinx, and includes DDR2 memory, Flash memory, 10/100/1000 Ethernet PHY, USB 2.0 PHY, system clock, eight MGTs and 132 user I/O. The I/O can be configured as single-ended signals as well as differential LVDS pairs.

Designers looking for an off-the-shelf, fully configurable, high-performance embedded processor system capable of supporting PowerPC and real-time operating systems, will find the Virtex-5 FXT Mini-Module the ideal solution.

regards 

jaden lee

Even I was looking for it but unfortunately couldn't find it. I guess we will just have to move on to somthing other now!

Thanks for sharing though. Appreciate it. Smiley Happy