kcw
Visitor

Ultra96 board won't power up

I received my Ultra96 and attempted to follow the quickstart guide.

I am using a good quality 12V 3A supply with a 5.5/2.1 to 4.75/1.7 adapter.

I plugged in the supply and pressed the power button SW3. I observed the power led DS9 and heard the fan spin up. I don't recall seeing the done led DS6, it may have come on.

After maybe 5 seconds, the led went out and the fan stopped.

I pressed SW3 again with no effect. I unplugged the power, waited 30 seconds and plugged back in and hit SW3 with no effect.

Using the schematic and a meter, I measured VSYS_IN at J7-36, test pads J14 and J15 and observed 12.07 volts at each. I measured VCC_5V0 at J7-37 and observed 5.07 volts.

I measured VCC_PSAUX at J7-35 and saw fluctuating readings. Using a scope I obtained the attached trace.

Has the PMIC failed?

ULTRA96_J7_35.png
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: Ultra96 board won't power up

Please request an RMA through your sales channel. Yes, it appears that your Pmic is doing something funny. We do test all boards prior to shipment, but it sounds like it happened just after you powered it on.

Also, you will have quicker results using the forums at http://www.zedboard.org/forums/ultra96-hardware-design

Bryan

kcw
Visitor

Thanks Bryan,

As far as positing on zedboard.org... I tried that first and my attempts were rejected with "We cannot post your comment, our system considered it as spam". I have been a member of the forum since 2014, so it should not be a new account issue. I used the zedboard support web portal to report that. I haven't heard back.

As far as going through my Avnet sales channel... My first two attempts,(once through the sales portal and once by responding to my purchase confirmation email) resulted in the advice to request help through zedboard.org.

I decided to go ahead and purchase a second board while trying to get traction on support for the first board. While I was filling in the forms, up popped a notification that I had been idle too long and offered a chat with a sales associate. Via the chat I was able to explain my predicament with the first board. The associate said the RMA approval can take from 1-2 weeks.I am still waiting for that.I did receive an email confirmation that a RMA case has been opened.

I went ahead and purchased a second board and that arrived yesterday. It powered up and worked without issue.

[ Edited ]

I would say it is still a good try. I used to fail at first attempt.

TVTAP USTVNow  UKTVNow

[ Edited ]

Could you try a different power supply/outlet. When the power good LED is not enumerated, the board prevents operation. If that doesn't help. Try measuring all your Power Rails on the board and report back the vidmate results. See Table 19 of the Zedboard Hardware User Guide ZENBOARD for information on where the power rails are located and what they should be. Smiley Happy 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

GO AND DO IT

Let me clarify. The mmicrozed is set to boot from SD, when it's off the carrier, Linux boots and operates just fine. I see the normal output on the USB terminal. When I attach the card to the carrier the microzed no longer boots. I do see the good power led on the microzed, but the Zynq seems ( not sure ) to remain in reset. The blue led on the microzed no longer lights. Also there are no LEDs lit on the carrier. My hardware design in the Zynq contains only the Zynq, nothing else. Do I need to configure the Design in any particular way for use with the carrier? Also, there is mention of an example design in the getting started guide, but I can only find an example for the io card.

192.168.1.1 Login IP address is one of the most popular IP addresses for routers. It’s used to enter in web-interface which also known as admin panel