Visitor
Accepted Solution

How to migrate to new EDK?

Just bought the Spartan 3A kit. None of Microblaze designs migrated successfully. Wizard states to manually upgrade most of the cores with editing the MHS file.

How can I migrate the projects? Or maybe there exists a BSP compartible with new EDK? I need to generate new microblaze system, but without a BSP it seems impossible.

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: How to migrate to new EDK?

Start a new project and use Base System Builder. That will pull in the latest IP cores and generate a new BSP.

Bryan

Visitor

But where can I download appropriate BSP for the board? Xilinx boards has built-in BSPs in the EDK, but I can't find the BSP for this one.

Visitor

I mean, after I select "I would like to load an existing .bsb settings file" it leaves me a choice either to use Xilinx XC3S1800A board or create my own custom. With as little peripherals as none.

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

You create your own BSP. You do not load an existing .bsb settings file. You start a new project, then get into Base System Builder. As long as you have installed the Xilinx Board Description (XBD) file for the Spartan-3A Evaluation board (www.em.avnet.com/xbd), then the tools should guide you through the options to create your own hardware platform, and later, your own BSP.

Bryan

Regular Visitor

you should be able to copy the board files in the newer version of edk/board into avnet, just keep the same hierarchy.

please bear in mind that EDK-XPS doesn't allow the S3 to have AXI designs - so choose PLB-based designs.

I have not used my S3A-eval for ages (years?), but that's the same for my S6LX9MB and that's working with 14p6 (but works with AXI).

Highlighted
Visitor

Thanks everybody!

The best solution was to include XBD files into the new EDK's folder. Now I can build the system in ISE 14.2 as easily as in 10.1. Though I can't migrate old projects, but who needs them when you can write new ones?