Visitor

I can not configure the FPGA via USB (virtual COM port, by Avnet). But can via JTAG

The evaluation board (Spartan3AEval) can be reconginized by PC, and can responses the command such as get_ver. The Avnet is V4.05,and PCOS firmware is V1.1.0.

When I cinfigured the FPGA, the pragramming process gone from 1%to 100%, but at last, shown "FPGA programming failed" in the receive console window.

So I could not configure the FPGA via USB (virtual COM port, by Avnet).

I have tried all of the configure bitstream files from http://community.em.avnet.com, such as blink4_for_S3A.bit,bpi_server_v037.bit,Spartan3AEval_FPGA_Firmware_V10.bit,etc. But all were failed.

But when I configured the FPGA via JTAG, it was OK. I can programmed the FPGA successfully , the the FPGA could work very well.

So I think, the FPGA and PCOS chips are both OK,

what is wrong with my evaluation board or the setting?

1.JPG
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: I can not configure the FPGA via USB (virtual COM port, by Avnet). But can via JTAG

I suggest using the debug console as described in the User Guide.  Or try a different PC running AvProg.  This commonly happens if you've built your bitstream with the wrong StartupCLK, but you are using the provided bitstreams, so this is not the issue.  Also, make sure you don't have the PROG jumper installed, but I suspect you don't as JTAG wouldn't work with that jumper installed either.

Bryan

Visitor

Re: I can not configure the FPGA via USB (virtual COM port, by Avnet). But can via JTAG

Thanks so much.

For more, I found the problem as below:

Step 1 :I configered FPGA via JTAG with bpi_server_v037.bit (locate at Avprog install director). Then I connected the Board by Avprog. Avnet could communicate with bpi_service, operating command such as "ID Check" and "Erase", as shown in Fig.1 and Fig.2;

Step 2 :I download configure bitstream file  ledflash4_cclk_6.bin (at Avt3S400A_Eval_Config_BPI_v10_1_01, downloded from www.avnet.com). During downloading, in the receive console window, shown "Unexpected character During BPI prgrame Sequence" as shown in Fgi.3; and the Avprog down.

Step3 : Restart Avprog, when connect COM port, there is a misstake to recongize the PSOC firmware, shown as in Fig.4.  But after reconnecting the COM port again, it works well again.

For SPI Mode , the result is same. (Using spi_server_v006.bit and blink4_for_S3A.bit.)

Is there any problem with the PSOC firmware? But I have refreshed  the firmware (V1.1.0) by PSoC MiniProg cable already, and the firmware looks working well with Avprog.

I have tried all the tests on two PCs ,the results are same.

Do you have a non-English O/S installed on your PC?  If so, please read the errata for the board.  There is an issue with Unicode characters on non-English language O/S.

Bryan

Visitor

VOV, after select my windows XP to English region (folowing the steps in the errata for the board), the board can be configured via USB successfuly now. Both SPI and BPI flashes can be downloaded configure files too. Thanks so much, Bryan.

One more question,  where 'make_bpi_image.bat' can be download from?

When I convert .bit file to .bin file for BPI flash, errors emerges, showing some file are missing, see Fig.1 attached. The 'make_bpi_image.bat' is from the package of  Avt3S400A_Eval_Config_BPI_v10_1_01 .

I already edited the 'make_bpi_image.bat'  for the .bit filename.

Visitor

sorry, here is the attachment for the error of make_bpi_image

1.JPG

The batch file is not finding iMPACT.  When this batch file was developed, the Xilinx tool paths were added to the PATH environment variable.  That is not done now.  You can get around this by adding a call to the front of your batch file.  For example, here's what I do for Xilinx 13.4 on my 32-bit system.

call "C:\Xilinx\13.4\ISE_DS\settings32.bat"

Or you can first launch an "ISE Command Prompt" and run your batch file from here.

Start --> Programs --> Xilinx ISE Design Suite 13.4 --> Accessories --> ISE Design Suite Command Prompt.

Bryan

Highlighted
Visitor

The BPI service works now after edited as you suggested.

Thanks very much for your continual help