Highlighted
Regular Contributor

J3 Connector

What is the J3 connector to connect the external power supply of 5V called? Does Avnet provide a connector or a cable that goes with it.

Regards

**bleep**al

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: J3 Connector

The part number for J3 is shown in the posted BOM -- CUI PJ-002A-SMT.  You can get the specs for this connector here:

http://www.cui.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=237377

A compatible supply for the jack needs 5V output, 2.1mm I.D. x 5.5mm O.D, center-positive.  This is the same as many other Avnet kits.  I couldn't find one that Avnet sells separately and has in stock that meets this criteria.  However, here is a part number that is just one example of one that should work:  CUIETS050250SUDC-P5P-KH

Bryan

Sorry, that should read CUI  ETS050250SUDC-P5P-KH

Regular Contributor

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for that.

I managed to find the following dc power supply cable for the J3 barrel.

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=4985680

However, my next problem is which strip should I connect to 5V  and which one to gnd. I know you mentioned in your email that the centre line is connected to 5v, which one is the centre line, I guess is the my question now.

Regards,

**bleep**al

I'm not sure what you mean by strip.  The supply specification should detail whether it is center positive or center negative.  Based on the way we have this barrel jack connected on the board, the center post of the jack is 5V and outer sleeve is GND.  If you buy a supply with the correct dimensions and orientation, you shouldn't have to connect anything.

Bryan

Regular Contributor

bhfletcher wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by strip.  The supply specification should detail whether it is center positive or center negative.  Based on the way we have this barrel jack connected on the board, the center post of the jack is 5V and outer sleeve is GND.  If you buy a supply with the correct dimensions and orientation, you shouldn't have to connect anything.

Bryan

Bryan,

The cable that I have bought just plugs into the barrel and the other side of it has two wire strips, one of which is connected to the centre of the barrel and the other to the outer side. I guess I can just use a multimeter to check which one is connected to the centre.