Contributor
Accepted Solution

Flashwriter is unable to successfully query target part layout using CFI on the S-6 IVK

Hi,

I'm trying to use the latest OSD reference posted at Avnet's website but haven't been able to program the Flash embeded in the Spartan-6 IVK board. I'm getting the following error message

Error: in-system programmer reported an error: unable to sucessfully query target part layout using CFI

I googled the error and found that similar situations take place whenever the board has some sort of configuration switches with a required pre-defined state

• Ref. 1 [Link]
  • Ref. 2 [Link]
  • Ref. 3 [Link]. This one talks about issues with Spansion Flash devices.

Have anyone in the forum had a similar problem? If so, can you please provide me with some help? Is there any sort of switch configuration the IVK board has to have for the TCL script to work?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: Flashwriter is unable to successfully query target part layout using CFI on the S-6 IVK

Rick,

Yes, we have seen similar behavior on some systems.

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the issue on my system, so I have recall’ed one system from the field to investigate further.

Until the issue is resolved, can you try the following ?

1) Disconnecting unused cables

• Power off the IVK
  • Disconnect all the cables (including power, DVI in, DVI out, ethernet, USB-UART)
  • Only reconnect the power and FPGA JTAG cables
  • Power on
  • Reprogram the FPGA
  • try again ...

2) Resetting the MicroBlaze

• Press SW2 once or twice to reset the MicroBlaze
  • try again …

Let me know if any of these voodoo recipes work for you.

Regards,

Mario.

Re: Flashwriter is unable to successfully query target part layout using CFI on the S-6 IVK

Had the same problem, resolution #1 solved it for me.

Jon,

Thanks for sharing your observations with the community.

I appreciate it ...

Regards,

Mario.

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

The User Guide for the Xilinx Scaler/OSD reference design has been updated.

It now contains additional instructions to verify the contents of the flash after being written.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am still trying to chase down the source of the flash issue.

I have two IVK setups under observation ... waiting for the issue to appear ... and as would be expected, the issue is not manifesting itself in front of the doctor ... Smiley Sad

In the current ref design, the active low flash reset pin is driven inactive high.

I have a modified FPGA design where this is connected to the XPS_MCH_EMC PCORE's Mem_RPN port.

If anyone is observing the flash issue, I can provide this modified FPGA design to see if this solves the issue. 

Regards,

Mario.

Hi all,

I just had a memorable "debug" moment !

The IVK that was sent to me for observation finally manifested the flash issue. 

As Rick already mentionned, this shows up as the following message in the XMD console:

Error: in-system programmer reported an error: unable to sucessfully query target part layout using CFI

I loaded the FPGA design (refdesign3_04082011.bit) twice to confirm that the flash issue persisted.  In both cases, I was not able to program the scaler coefficients to flash memory.

Then I loaded the new modified FPGA design (refdesign3_06272011.bit), which connects the flash's reset pin to the XPS_MCH_EMC PCORE's Mem_RPN port.  With this design, the flash issue disappeared.  I was able to successfully program and verify the scaler coefficients to flash memory.

Then I reloaded the original design (refdesign3_04082011.bit), and the flash device was still working fine.

I will be updating the Scaler reference design with this modification.

Until then, if someone runs into the issue, just ask me for the pre-built refdesign3_06272011.bit bitstream.

Regards,

Mario.

If someone runs into the issue before the update is made available,

please use the attached pre-built refdesign3_06272011.bit bitstream.

Regards,

Mario.

Congratulations Mario!  I confirmed your fix on my hardware yesterday, and this morning.  Works every time.