Regular Contributor

Spartan 6 LX150T Development Kit Ethernet problem

Dear All,

I am a customer of Avnet products in Greece.

We have purchased an Avnet Spartan 6 LX150T Development Kit 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, suddenly the Ethernet chip stop working (led are not blinking) on the board that i had purchased.

As I saw in Avnet official website this board is discontinued. However, a design that I made 2 years ago is crucial for a project that is running now.

I would like to ask if there are known issues with this board and that was the reason that is discontinued.

Also I would be grateful if you can provide me with some recommendations on this issue...

Best Regards,
Lefteris Fysikopoulos
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: Spartan 6 LX150T Development Kit Ethernet problem

There were no known issues with this board. We do discontinue older family boards from time to time due to low demand. What I can suggest is to go to our web site www.em.avnet.com/spartan6lx150t-dev and download a couple of reference designs for this board and try it out. This will tell you whether the board has been damaged or not.

Regular Contributor

The board is damaged for sure.

An embedded system that i have create and used for the last two years without any problem suddenly stop working with the Ethernet not responing. The LEDS of the ethernet port are not blinking and the chip is overheated. The design is based on the embedded reference design provided in the link above.

Any recommendations/solutions except to try the references design?

Is there any chance to find the same board from your company (in stock maybe)?

Could you provide me some informations about where I can fix the board in Greece or somewhere in Europe?

Your best option would be to find a place that can replace the Ethernet PHY for you.

Regular Contributor

Οκ...I know....

But how can I figure out if it is the PHY Ethernet chip or the power supply of the chip or something else that affects PHY Ethernet operation?

I did some more research on this and found out we did ship just a few boards very early (a couple of weeks after the board was released in 2010/2011) that had an issue with the Ethernet running at 1G. Basically the Ethenet PHY would get warm/hot when running at 1G, but was fine running at 10/100. We repaired all boards shipping after that date. If your board was repaired, you shuld see a couple of wires and some solder on the back of the board just below the RJ45 connector. Please take a look at your board and see if it has been repaired. If not. you can use the attached instructions to repair the board yourself.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for these useful information. My board is not repaired. Is it normal to work normal at 1G for 3 years without being repaired?

I would like to confirm what i read in the rework pdf. I would isolate the J1.1 from the drilled out hole and connect the pads indicated by green arrows via 9 wires to the C127.1 capacitor.

Am I right?

Your board should be OK after rework. I've attached a pic of the repair so you know how it looks.

Regular Contributor

Ok with the connections. The picture really helped.

The vias are already exists. What does the .pdf with drill out mean? I have to ruin the vias indicated with the red circle as a symbol?

If this is true i think that i dont have the appropriate tools and also the experience to do so.

The drilling would have to be done by a Contract Manufacturer (CM), that's how we had all the boards repaired. We did not have the capability to repair the boards ourselves either. If you can find a CM, that would be your best option.