Regular Contributor

Re: Spartan 6 LX150T Development Kit Ethernet problem

Hello,

We made the rework suggestions provided in the .pdf document, but Ethernet is still not working. The chip is still overheated. We test two options, one without drilling and one after drilling the holes referenced in the document provided.

I attach the picture of what we have done (this is after the drilling). The drilling was done by a Contract Manufacturer as we were not able to do by ourselves.

What are your suggestions?

IMG_20150217_114816.jpg
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Have you tried running the design at 10/100 to see if the Ethernet PHY is even functional? If the 10/100 test fails, the only other thing I can suggest would be to replace the Ethernet PHY since it is likely that the chip has been damaged.

Regular Contributor

The embedded reference design (memoryTest.bit) provided works well. However when the board is powered on and the .bit file is downloded to the FPGA no LEDs on the Ethernet are blinking. The chip is overheated as soon as I power on the board without programming the FPGA. A normal operation should have the Ethernet LEDs blinking when powering on the board without running any design.

So it seems that the chip is damaged.

I would like to ask what are the commitments from Avnet part, as the board has been shipped with a problem (as you described - rework procedure)?

Is there any board left in stock for replacement?

Instead, where can I send the board (Avnet distributor in Greece, near Greece) in order someone expert from Avnet  to take over and see what exactly is the problem and if it is the Ethernet chip (most probably) to replace it?

Unfortunately, the board is no longer under warranty. We did post an errata about this issue on our web site back in 2011 https://www.em.avnet.com/Support%20And%20Downloads/s6lx150t_revc_errata_v1_1.pdf. Having said that, I'm working very hard to find a replacement board for you. If I can't find a board, we may need to have you send the board back to us so that we can repalce the Ethernet PHY.

Regular Contributor

Thank you! Really appreciated...

I am waiting for your feedback...

Regular Contributor

The ERRATA refered to revion C.

My board is revision E.

This maybe the reason that the rework solution doesn't worked...

Are you sure about the revision of the board? The revision is on the back of the board in Red (for example, "xxxxxxx_PCB-C").

Regular Contributor

Yes I am sure..

On the back...S6DEV-LX150T-PCB-E

Sorry I did not make it clear, the rework was for the early rev C board as indicated in page 1 of the rework instructions.

Regular Contributor

Yes it wasn't clear...

May this rework has negative impacts in revision E?