Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: Spartan 6 LX150T Development Kit Ethernet problem

The rework won't have any adverse effects on the rev E board.

Unfortunately, I could not find another S6LX150T board. Since you purchased a Rev E board, you did receive a board with the Rev C rework already built into the PCB. So, you had a fully working board and since your board is no longer under warranty, we couldn't repalce your board even if I could find another board. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but that's where we stand. The best I can suggest to you would be to have the CM replace the Ethernet PHY for you.

Regular Contributor

Ok I understand.

I would like to ask a detailed description of the components that should be replaced and the necessary steps that i should follow in order the platform be functional again without damage it.

The BOM for the Rev E board is attached. Please send the board and the new PHY to the CM and they will know how to repalce the part.

Regular Contributor

Hello,

We have successfully changed the PHY Ethernet chip on board. Now it is not overheated when operates.

The problem now is that it seems to not autonegotiate correctly.

It  autonegotiates at 10Mbps while my application needs 1000Mbps. When working correctly before the damage LEDS 100, 1000 were blinking. Now (for the same bit file and SDK and PC options) 10Mbps and DUP LEDs are blinking.

What are your suggestions?

Can you verify the MDIO is pulled up to 2.5V and not the 3.3V rail?

I know you mentioned the same design used to work with this board just fine, but please try the following for the purpose of debugging this issue.

1) What happens when you force the PC to 100Mbps or 1000Mbps Full Duplex?

2) If you are using lwIP in your design, you can also change the default speed settings of "Auto" to 100Mbps or 1000Mbps in lwIP BSP to see if that makes a difference.

Regular Contributor

Can you verify the MDIO is pulled up to 2.5V and not the 3.3V rail?

I measured the Voltage on the pin and it was 3.3Volts. As I saw in schematics the MDIO signal is connected to Bank3 which has 3.3Volts. So I suppose that the correct Voltage on pin is 3.3Volts.

I know you mentioned the same design used to work with this board just fine, but please try the following for the purpose of debugging this issue.

1) What happens when you force the PC to 100Mbps or 1000Mbps Full Duplex?

When I force my PC to 100Mbps or 1000Mbps connection is lost. None of the LEDs are blinking any more.

2) If you are using lwIP in your design, you can also change the default speed settings of "Auto" to 100Mbps or 1000Mbps in lwIP BSP to see if that makes a difference.

When I force from LWIP temac adapter options to 100Mbps or 1000Mbps connection is again lost either without forcing the PC or forcing it to 100Mbps or 1000Mbps.

Trying the jtag Ethernet test provided in the site it prints "Timeout waiting for PHY to complete Autonegotiation, Check cable. Of course the cable is the right one used in many application for 1000Mbps in several boards including SP6LX150T Development Kit before being damage.

Can you remove the Rev C fix from the board and try it again.

Regular Contributor

The board is drilled out. What do you mean remove the fix?

Just remove the wires and the solder since the fix is already in the PCB. I'm just trying to rule out that the fix may not have been implemented correctly.