08-14-2012 09:33 AM
As per the instructions accompanying the 14.1 xbd files, I've unzipped the avnet_edk14_1_sbd_files.zip contents to the <EDK>/board directory (specifically, C:/Xilinx/14.2/ISE_DS/EDK/board). So I now have two directories in that path: Avnet and Xilinx. Unfortunately, when I run PlanAhead 14.2 and "Create New Project", none of the avnet boards are selectable from the "Default Part" window. I have a Spartan 6 LX150T board, so I assume I have all the right licenses.
Is there something I need to change in PlanAhead to tell it to rescan the board directory for new definitions?
08-14-2012 10:37 AM
Looks like there is an XML file for each Xilinx board in the PlanAhead install directory. For example, the XML file for the Spartan6 SP605 board is located in the C:\Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\PlanAhead\data\parts\xilinx\spartan6\boardfiles folder (these XML files don't exist for the Avnet boards). The XML files look to be encrypted and don’t know how they are generated. I have contacted Xilinx and waiting to hear back to see if this issue is indeed related to the missing XML file. As soon as I hear back, I will let you know what we need to do to fix this.
08-16-2012 07:31 AM
Unfortunately, Xilinx's 14.2 tutorials are all based around the PlanAhead tool chain. I've tried using 14.1 tutorials with 14.2 but they don't match up.
Did Xilinx give any indication for a release date for 14.4?
08-16-2012 07:42 AM
I do not have a release date for 14.4, but given the fact that 14.2 was released late July and a typical release interval of 2-3 months, you are looking at late December or early January time frame.
01-14-2013 04:25 PM
I downloaded and ran 14.4 but still cannot select Spartan6 LX150T board in PlanAhead. Does it mean that the board support is not in the 14.4 release?
01-14-2013 05:15 PM
According to Xilinx, the current release to support partner boards (such as Avnet) will be in Vivado 2013.2 (scheduled to be released in Q2 of 2013). Also keep in mind that, there may not be PlanAhead support for this feature (Vivado only).
09-23-2013 09:02 PM
So, What is the solution, please? I have the Design Suite of Vivado 2013.2, but I am more focussed on using PlanAhead, and start the project like we do for Zedboard and other familiar boards.
09-24-2013 05:30 AM
You can use the following flow:
1) Make sure Avnet XBD files are installed in the EDK (same version of the PlanAhead you are planning on using).
2) Create a new PlanAhead project and specify the device (in this case the S6LX150T device).
3) Once the new project is created, select "Add Sources" from the PlanAhead GUI.
4) Select "Add Embedded Source" from the Add Sources GUI.
5) Select Create Subsystem and name it "system".
6) When asked if you want to use the Base System Builder, click on Yes.
7) Select the Avnet S6LX150T board and finish the Base System Builder design.
8) Once the Base System Builder design is generated, in PlanAhead GUI (under Sources tab), right-click on system.xmp file and select "Create Top Level HDL".
9) Now you can add other logic to your top-level HDL file, if you wish to.
10) Generate bit file and export your hardware to SDK.