11-11-2010 01:47 PM
Running the Dev Kit tests described in "Avnet S6LX150T Development Board Embedded Design.pdf" results in several failed tests. The memory test worked but the following didn't:
1. The ethernet Ping Demo/test yields a "RX: Frame was dropped" repeating message on the Terminal. The inset note says to reset the board with the SW2 push button. The same error occurs.
2. The USB Demo hangs after trying to format it in Explorer. In fact, the EDK crashes and the Explorer dies on the host computer.
3. The I2C test hangs after displaying the message, "NOTE: If I2C test hangs at this point I2C test fails. This test is very quick...".
I didn't try the last step (12. Setting up the Host PC) as it was getting frustrating.
I appreciate any advice, re-direction, etc.
My environment is:
Avnet's Xilinx Spartan-6 LX150T Development Kit
11-11-2010 03:13 PM
1) Make sure all jumpers are set according to the reference design PDF. The default settings are not the same as the setting for this reference design, specially the I2C jumpers JP5 and JP6, a jumper needs to be installed on pins 1-2.
2) To eliminate a possible damage to the board, please go to the S6LX150T web page www.em.avnet.com/spartan6lx150t-dev and download the Factory Test bit file and run it on the board. Set the Hyper Terminal to 19200 baud and follow the on-screen instructions for this test.
3) If the Factory Test passes, you might have build problems with the reference design. If the Factory Test fails, you most likely have a damaged board. In this case, please contact your local Avnet office to arrange for a return, assuming the board is still under warranty.
11-17-2010 05:44 PM
I have had the same problem as the original poster.
After changing the jumpers on JP5 and JP6 to the correct position, the i2c test is now functioning properly.
However, the ping test still generates "RX: Frame was dropped" messages.
I also cannot ping the device from the host PC.
My machine is running CentOS 5.3, with Xilinx ISE 12.3 installed.
My colleague has also duplicated the exact same behaviour on a Windows 7 PC, also running Xilinx 12.3 ISE.
We have run the Factory Test bit file, and all tests pass except the last FMC test.
What could be wrong here?
11-22-2010 10:17 AM
I got the same problem. The Ethernet test cannot pass. I tried both factory test and building reference design. Both cases show "RX: Frame was dropped" on the Terminal. I am not sure whether the board is damaged or not. My OS is 64 bit Windows XP and Xilinx EDK is 12.3.
11-22-2010 11:02 AM
If you have indeed tried EDK 12.2 and it fails, please perform the following steps:
1) In the root directory of the reference design zip file, there is bit file called memory_test.bit. Instead of configuring the FPGA with the bit file from your build, please configure it with the memory_test.bit file. This will allow you to use the bit file from my 12.2 build rather than yours.
2) Follow the instructions in the reference design PDF to download the Ethernet ping software to the board and run the test.
11-22-2010 04:06 PM
I ran with the original memory_test.bit with the same results.
I've also ran the "S6-LX150T - Hardware Co-Simulation Reference Design Tutorial - 12.2 - 20100907" reference design which successfully used the point-to-point ethernet capability. They did recommend changes to the NIC driver on the PC which I implemented. However, this didn't change the outcome when I re-tried the ping tests.
11-22-2010 04:32 PM
You need to send the board back to us so that we can take a closer look at the Ethernet issue. Is the board still under warranty? If so, you need to contact the local Avnet office to arrange for an RMA.
11-23-2010 05:10 AM
I have updated the S6LX150T Embedded Reference Design to 12.3 and it runs on my board w/o any issues. The design has already been built, so no need to re-build it, just use it as is and let me know the results. This desig uses the USB-RS232 port (JR1 connector on the board) for communicating with the Hyper Terminal. Please read the "Getting Started" PDF for this board on our web site to install the USB-RS232 driver and instructions on how to use this port with Hyper Terminal.
The 12.3 design is uploaded to Avnet ftp site at: