Regular Contributor

Serial driver not working

I've switched Windows 7 computers, both 64 bit, and I've reinstalled Xilinx ISE for use with the LX-16 board.  On my previous computer I had the Cypress USB Serial driver installed and it worked fine with the Terminal in the Xilinx SDK.  Now I can't get it to install.  The driver package I had used previously was CyUSBSerial_driver_v3.0.12.12_WHQL_certified.zip and I downloaded an update from the Cyprus site to see if it would work: CyUSBSerial_driver_v3.13.0.20_WHQL_CERTIFIED.zip.

When I plug the board into the USB Windows tells me a device driver cannot be found.  If I try to force the assignment of the "unknown device" to the Cypress USB Serial driver from the driver list Windows tells me it's not compatible.  If I do it anyway it doesn't work (no COM port detected by the Xilinx terminal. 

I also tried installing AvProg (AvProg_v405_setup1.zip) but it didn't work either.

Can anyone point me to the correct USB Serial driver for Win 7?

Regular Contributor

Re: Serial driver not working

I found some notes from when I did the installation on the first computer.  This worked, but I can't imagine it's the right answer.  I had to edit the CypressUsbAndBus.inf file to add the VID/PID found for the unknown device.  I then selected "update driver" for the unknown device, pointed it to the folder with the edited inf file, and the driver installation worked.  And the serial port works.

Is this really the way this is supposed to work?

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

The Spartan-6 LX16 Evaluation board has a Cypress PSoC that has been customed programmed for the LX16 board. This includes a custom VID/PID. The PSoC development tools create a driver as part of the design compilation. You need to point the installer to this driver.

The Getting Started Guide refers to driver installation that is outlined in the AvProg User Guide, which is typically installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\Avnet\AvProg\Doc. Inside that document, read section 2.4. The custom driver is installed with AvProg. You should use C:\Program Files (x86)\Avnet\AvProg\Driver\Windows\USBcdc_LX16.inf. 

Bryan

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

It would have saved me many frustrating hours if that information had been included in the LX16 user guide.