Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

EDK (including XPS) now available for LX9 MicroBoard Users

[ Edited ]

The license included with the Avnet Spartan-6 LX9 MicroBoard has been upgraded to now include Xilinx Platform Studio (XPS). This gives LX9 MicroBoard user's a full eqivalent of Xilinx ISE Embedded Edition, device locked to the LX9. This now allows users to freely generate and modify MicroBlaze hardware platforms, in addition to the software development (SDK) and debugging (ChipScope) that was already available.

All new users generating a license will get these features in their generated license:

COMPONENTS="SDK ChipScopePro_SIOTK ChipscopePro PlanAhead WebPACK XPS ISIM"

If you have already generated a license, you should be able to gain access to the added XPS feature by following the steps below.

Re-generate license:

1. Go to http://www.xilinx.com/getlicense
  2. Login
  3. Verify info and click Next
  4. Select your account, if necessary
  5. Click the Manage Licenses tab
  6. Double-click your Spartan-6 LX9 MicroBoard Kit license (it may be the only one there).
  7. The Modify Node License should open. Make sure the Product is check under 1 Product Selection. Verify the host in 2 System Information. Add info under 3 Comments if you want. Then click Next.
  8. Click Continue. Review the license request, then click Next.
  9. Read then click Accept.
  10. Close the Congratulations window by clicking the X.
  11. Download your new license to verify the new features

Bryan

Visitor

Re: EDK (included XPS) now available for LX9 MicroBoard Users

Awesome!  That will save a lot of time putting together Microblaze systems with custom peripherals.

Thanks!

Yes! I hope so. Please let us know if you have any issue getting the proper license generated.

Bryan

Visitor

I have a few questions regarding the EDK license:

1. Is the license limited in duration, or is it perpetual?

2. Will the license work with any late version of ISE? (say 12.x, 13.x, 14.x?)

3. Is it true that the license is only device-locked and not node-locked?

Thanks.

1. The license is limited to one year. Tools will continue to work beyond the year.

2. Yes, I believe so. 

3. Yes, device-locked to the Spartan-6 LX9

Bryan

Visitor

Thanks! Would you elaborate on #1 though?

Does this mean that I can generate/modify Microblaze platforms for only one year after activation of the license, but the SDK and Chipscope will continue to work indefinitely?

And if so, once the license expires, is it possible to use in my designs any Microblaze platforms I generated while the license was still valid?

It used to be that you would not receive any more updates. However, since 14.7 is the final release of ISE, no new updates will be coming anyway.

I'm not sure of the legal ramifications with Xilinx, and I suggest you thoroughly read whatever license agreements that Xilinx provided as part of the tool download and install. 

I think the tools will work indefinitely, including generating new MicroBlaze platforms. However, I'm not sure if you have to have an active license to legally ship products that contain MicroBlaze IP. That's where you will need to get more information from Xilinx.

Bryan

Visitor

After some back and forth I finally got clarification regarding licensing from Xilinx yesterday, but during that time it looks like the LX9 Microboard has been discontinued by Avnet!

Will there be a successor/replacement?

I apologize for the confusion and the delay. As of today, there are 60 in stock:

https://products.avnet.com/shop/en/ema/kits-and-tools/development-kits/aes-s6mb-lx9-g-30744573456289...

The board was out-of-stock when you asked, and it was marked for EOL, but we had a final build in place. I believe when these sell out we will not be building anymore. There are plans for a Spartan low-cost kit to be the successor of this one, but likely not until summer or fall of 2017.

If you are looking for a much more powerful processor than the MicroBlaze in the LX9, you can also look at the Zynq-7000, which has a much higher performance processor and DDR controller, along with faster programmable logic. There are a number of low-cost boards out there. We are promoting the MicroZed, which is a $199 kit. I understand that is 3x the cost of the LX9, but I believe it is well worth that in terms of performance, support, and longevity.

www.microzed.org

Bryan