Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

Error programing FPGA.

Hello again guys,

I am trying to program for the first time my LX9 Microboard, everyting seems to be okay.

I am able to connect a terminal and interact with the board, but for some reason when I try to programing using Xilinx SDK I got a error message.

I have attached a screenshot of my desktop with the terminal connected, the deviced manager with the USB to UART bridge correctly instaled and the error message. 

Once more, thanks in advance,

Clebson Derivan

desktop.png
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Error programing FPGA.

Also I have attached an screenshot with the FPGA configuration.

JTAG configuraiton.png
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

The Silicon Labs USB/UART driver is unrelated to the JTAG circuit.  That only matters if you are using the Micro-USB, which is UART only.  You must have the Type A USB plugged in to access the JTAG.  Is the Type A USB plugged in directly or through the USB Extension Cable?

Your SDK JTAG settings look fine.  Do you see "Digilent USB Device" under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager?  Can you initialize the JTAG chain in iMPACT?

If you are using 13.1, did you read this thread -- http://community.em.avnet.com/t5/Spartan-6-LX9-MicroBoard/Digilent-plugin-on-ise-13-1/td-p/2070

Bryan

Regular Visitor

Thanks Brian

10:58:55 INFO : FPGA configured successfully with bitstream C:/Xilinx/Embedded/EDK_Tutorial/Workspace/mb_system_hw_platform/download.bit.

Hi Bryan,

I upgraded to 13.1 after connection problems with 12.1. I followed the instructions for updating the digilent plugin update and have "-cable type xilinx_plugin modulename digilent_plugin" entered as my 3rd party cable. When I select Program FPGA in the SDK, I get this:-

"FPGA configuration encountered errors.
Program FPGA failed
   ERROR: Connection to Board Failed"

If I use Impact, it seems to get further on

with :-

// *** BATCH CMD : setCable -target "digilent_plugin"
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: found 1 device(s).
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: opening device: "obp", SN:000000000000
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: User Name: obp
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Product Name: Avnet On-Board Programmer
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Serial Number: 000000000000
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Product ID: F030012D
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Firmware Version: 011B
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: JTAG Port Number: 0
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: JTAG Clock Frequency: 4000000 Hz

.. but when I initialise chain, it says it is already in use. Does not make a differece if I unplug/replug the microboard P1 connector.

Regards

Chris

Bogus

Hi Brian,

Ignore me. Just switched to a different USB socket on my PC and it programmed ok.

Regards

Chris

Re: Bogus

Glad to hear it's working.  ISE 13.2 has now been released.  If you upgrade to that, you'll find that iMPACT automatically installs and detects the Digilent JTAG, including the circuit on the LX9 MicroBoard.  I just tried it with success!  See the attached screenshot of what you can expect to see in iMPACT 13.2.

Bryan

impact 13.2 MicroBoard JTAG.jpg
Regular Visitor

Same issue with ISE 13.2 but on an XP64-bit OS

My installation doesn't recognize the Digilent USB on my XP64 machine.  I suspect that the issue is 64 vs 32 bit.  It works on an old XP32 machine.

I've tried downloading Adept and installing it on my XP64 machine.  Adept seems to know there's a device on the other end because it sees a device called obp and lets me initialize the chain, seeing a Spartan 6 in the JTAG chain.

However, neither SDK or IMPACT see the device.  It appears that only a 64-bit version of IMPACT was installed during installation and that doesn't see the device.

Any ideas? 

Re: Same issue with ISE 13.2 but on an XP64-bit OS

13.2 and 13.3 Xilinx install software has an issue on machines that have had any other version of Digilent tools installed (like Adept, or upgrading from 13.2 to 13.3).  If it sees an existing Digilent driver installed, it won't install the new one.  You have to do this manually.  Here is the work-around:

http://community.em.avnet.com/t5/Spartan-6-LX9-MicroBoard/13-3-With-Digilent-Tool/td-p/3791

Bryan

Regular Visitor

Problem with programming LX9

[ Edited ]

Hello everybody I have a microboard lx9 with ise 13.4 version installed on my pc . I have a problem with programming the FPGA , I have tried to work through the hello world example and in "step 15 " when i want to program the FPGA , it shows me this error :

*****************************************************************************************************

data2mem -bm C:/.Xilinx/Test/MicroBoard/system_bd.bmm -bt \ C:/.Xilinx/Test/MicroBoard/system.bit -bd \ D:/zaban/SDU/University/Semesters/Semester10/project/Xilinx/ISE_DS/EDK/sw/lib/microblaze/mb_bootloop_le.elf \ tag microblaze_0 -o b C:/.Xilinx/Test/MicroBoard/download.bit

ERRORSmiley Very Happyata2MEM:1 - File '\.Xilinx\Test\MicroBoard\system.bit' can not be found, or is busy.

Please ensure that the file is available in the correct directory location, or isn't being locked by another application.

FPGA Programming Failed due to errors while initializing bitstream. *****************************************************************************************************************************

I also tried to solve it with the solution in this website : http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/46140.htm but I even couldn't run the "SDK_Data2mem_patch.bat " file , this one also shows the error that can't execute it .

I appreciate if somebody can help here... Thank you