Regular Contributor

LX9 MicroBoard - Known Issues

Topic:  Incorrect USB Micro Connector J3 pinout on AES-S6MB-LX9-G Rev B boards

Description:

The LX9 MicroBoard is expected to be able to be powered from a Computer Host USB port when plugging into either Tyco USB-A connector (P1 - USB-to-JTAG bridge) or Tyco USB Micro-B connector (J3 - USB-to-UART bridge).   The USB Micro-B connector has pins 4 and 5 reversed with respect to the specification shown below (4 == GND and Pin 5 == ID on LX9 MicroBoard).  This results in a failure to bring GND from the Computer Host USB port to the LX9 MicroBoard and not being able to power the board via J3 only.   This is usually only seen with 4 conductor straight through (pins 1, 2,3,5) USB A to micro-USB B cables, those cables typically provided with cell phone chargers.    

USB 1.x/2.0 standard pinout

Pin           Name      Description

1              VBUS       +5 V

2              D−            Data −

3              D+            Data +

4              GND        Ground

USB 1.x/2.0 Mini/Micro pinout

Pin           Name      Description

1              VBUS       +5 V

2              D−            Data −

3              D+            Data +

4              ID             Permits distinction of host connection from slave connection

* host: connected to Signal ground

* slave: not connected

5              GND        Signal ground

Solution:

When using a 5 pin USB A to micro-USB B cable, GND is picked up by the LX9 MicroBoard over pin 4 (host: connected to Signal ground).  Otherwise, when a 4 conductor cable is used, a solder connection between pins 4 and 5 of J3 can be made to provide this GND from the Host to the LX9 MicroBoard.

Regular Contributor

Re: LX9 MicroBoard - Known Issues

Topic:  Unable to simultaneously connect to two (or more) AES-S6MB-LX9-G boards via Xilinx iMPACT Tool

Description:

When you open the cable setup dialog in iMPACT and select “Digilent USB Jtag Cable” iMPACT calls a function in the Digilent plug-in which discovers (enumerates) devices connected to the system, gets the serial number and username associated with each device, and creates an array of strings that are formatted similar to “username/serial”. This array of string is returned to iMPACT and then displayed in the “Port” menu of the “Cable Setup” dialog. When a user selects a device to open iMPACT calls the OpenTarget function in the Digilent plug-in with the “device=serial_number” parameter and the plug-in opens the device with the specified serial number.

In the case of the LX9 MicroBoard, the “username/serial” are the same for all boards (obp/000000000000).  Since both devices have the same serial number the plug-in will only open the first device that it discovers that has that username/serial number.

Solution:

Customers can download a set of command line utilities for Windows (Adept 2.1.1 Utilities, 32/64-bit Windows) from the Digilent website and use the “dadutil” application to set the username and serial number of their device. We suggest customers download the utilities and change the username and/or serial number of one their boards to something like “obp2”. The Adept Utilities can be obtained from this website:

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,66,828&Prod=ADEPT2

Here is an example of the “dadutil” applications usage:

+++++++

Example:

C:\Documents and Settings\030810\My Documents\Downloads\Digilent>dadutil enum

Found 1 device(s)

Device: obp

Product Name:   Avnet On-Board Programmer

User Name:      obp

Serial Number:  000000000000

C:\Documents and Settings\030810\My Documents\Downloads\Digilent>dadutil -d obp setusr -usr rjk

User name to set: rjk

Found 1 device(s)

Device: rjk

User Name:      rjk

Serial Number:  000000000000

C:\Documents and Settings\030810\My Documents\Downloads\Digilent>dadutil -d rjk setsn -sn 654321654321

Serial number set to: 654321654321

Found 1 device(s)

Device: rjk

User Name:      rjk

Serial Number:  654321654321

cjk
Regular Visitor

Hi –

I received a revision "B" LX9 MicroBoard last week, and so far have been unable to successfully connect with the J3 micro USB port. Windows 7 64bit  is not able to recognize the CP2102 device, and displays “USB Device Not Recognized”.

The latest CP210x drivers package (“CP210x_VCP_Win_XP_S2K3_Vista_7”) has been installed from the Si Labs site. Note, we already use the CP2102 USB-to-UART adapter in our own hardware design and I can readily connect to those devices from my laptop. I have also tried multiple laptops, without success: our CP2102 devices are recognized; the one on the MicroBoard is not.

Upon making the mod so that pin 4 and 5 of J3 are solder bridged to get a good ground, the board at least consistently fires up - green power LED, blue DONE LED, and flashing red LEDs – but I never get the amber USB LED.

Any thoughts besides the possibility of a damaged CP2102?  

Thanks,

Charlie

cjk
Regular Visitor

Please disregard the above post. Turns out it was simply a bad USB cable that shipped with the kit, which seems odd.

I would like to get a replacement Type A to micro-B USB cable Smiley Happy

Visitor

Hey thanks for posting. I went through this as well. Spent a day or so building another PC with ISE... Never occurred to me it might be the USB cable that shipped with the device. After reading your post I tried it... and sure enough the thing works when plugged directly into the PCs USB port. What the heck?! Power (LEDs on) was working with the bad cable. Thanks again!!!
Visitor

Took mine out of the box and followed the quick start guide. Plugged in the USB cable and no sign of life on the MicroBoard, however the PC came up with a new USB hardware found wizard and was lookingfor the CP210x USB to UART driver. I followed the instruction in the online user guide and loded the driver. Plugged in the Microboard again and this time the USB link status LED came on but no Green or Blue LED! After 2 hours of frustration came across this "Known Issue" on the internet.

Three hours later after reading Micro B USB connector data sheets to find out which were pins 4 and 5, getting hold of a suitibly small soldering iron, a magnifying glass and some solder, I managed to make some mess with the solder across pins 4 and 5 that looked like it could be a connection. I tried the Microboard in the USB on my PC again and there was life.

This was an hour ago. I'm still so annoyed to find that Avnet are selling these boards when they know that they do not work out of the box without this mod. I bought mine just a few days ago, weeks after the problem was known. They should have been taken off the shelf immediately rather than flogging them off to some sucker who, if lucky, will probably come across this "Known Issue" after hours of frustration, then have to try to fix the brand new board before using it.

If its any help to those who have the same problem and come across this message - pins 4 and 5 of the Micro USB connector are those closest to the USB Status LED (D6) on the PCB.  

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

I apologize for your trouble.  This was an oversight on our part.  I have asked our manufacturing team to look into this so we can avoid this issue for others.  We do appreciate your feedback.

Bryan

Visitor

Can You make video-tutoral of must-do changing and give link hire? Does it difficult?

Visitor

If you aren't too good with a soldering iron you can skip the 'fix' and use it as-is. I never even knew about the problem until reading it here, I just assumed that there was insufficient current or something like that.

As a work-around just plug in the male A connector to your computer in addition to the USB-micro jack. The board should work fine then. It just means you cannot power the board with certain cables using only the USB-micro jack.

Visitor

I found that the "power good" LED D7 doesn't turn on unless *both* P1 and J3 are plugged in to a USB socket. However, if either is plugged into a USB phone charger, the board powers up and D7 lights.

It turned out that the TPS65708 will start up only if +5V_USB_A or +5V_USB_B is approximately 5.3V. After the voltage drop across D13 or D16, it is slightly above 5.0V at the input of the chip.

The TPS65708 user guide states that "... A dc power supply capable of delivering 5 V at 1 A is required to operate this EVM..". So perhaps that is why it's not working for me.

Would it be advisable for me to remove D16 and replace D13 with a short so that the module is powered only by the P1 USB?