Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

LX9micro as a data collecting device.

[ Edited ]

Hi, all

I want to power the LX9micro with a portable li-on battery with the micro-USB cable, can turn the board into a data collecting device. However I am not sure that,

Problem One. Can the LX9micro board be powered up using the micro-USB cable ? 

Problem Two. Suppose I write the data into the SDRAM, Can I power the board with micro-USB battery and simulataneous connect the Lx9micro into the PC using the USB cable to read the file out as a normal USB storage device ?

Problem Three. as a data collecting device, I want the power consumption to be as little as possible. Which part of the on-board memory device should I write using only the VHDL code ? (i.e., I do not want to use microblaze because I think it might consume more energy, and I have no experience in using either the picoblaze or microblaze ). Static memory or dynamic memory should also be OK. 

Thanks all!

liu benyuan

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: LX9micro as a data collecting device.

1) Yes, the LX9 MicroBoard can be powered by either of the USB interfaces.

2) Yes

3) The on-board flash will consume much less power than the DDR interface.  But it is slower.
Value in using MicroBlaze is that it has drivers and prebuilt interfaces for both DDR and QSPI Flash.
In VHDL you'll have to write the interfaces on your own.     To help you, our EDK training material
for MicroBoard show you how to use MicroBlaze to do all of this...   But a MicroBlaze design may
likely consume more power than a pure HDL design.  And MicroBlaze for the LX9 board may require
use of the DDR memory as you may likely need it for code storage.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your reply!

1) I will try to power the LX9 board through the micro-USB port using the Samsung Phone power adapter. (It will not burn the board ... ... )

2) I Google the website and found that either the P1 port (normal USB) and J3 (micro USB) can not be taken as a normal USB storage devices. Once I have collected some data with the battery, should I implement some protocol that can read the data off the board into the PC ?

3) I bought a RN-42 Bluetooth device, and try to transfer the data from the board to the pad during the data collecting process. 

Liu

Highlighted
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

2) The easiest method to get data on and off the board is through the UART.