AVNET COMMUNITY
Contributor

Remarks on AvtS6LX9MicroBoard_SW302_PetaLinux

Hello Jayson and all others,

I tried the Linux implementation today successfully. It was quite easy to adapt it to my Linux Host and it worked with ISE 13.2, too. The provided files download.cmd and xmd.ini worked for me so that I did not need the *.bat files, just type the commands:

ready_for_download$ . /opt/Xilinx/13.2/ISE_DS/settings64.sh

ready_for_download$ impact -batch download.cmd

ready_for_download$ xmd

ready_for_download$ cp image.ub /tftpboot

ready_for_download$ minicom

After I installed Linux to the Flash the factory installed test application was broken, which does not matter for me. Maybe someone else would bother.

At least, I am missing two points:

1. How can I install the FPGA image (I think I could figure out this by myself) and u-boot (maybe u-boot-s.bin would be needed) permanently so that they are started at power up?

2. The sources for Linux, u-boot and the FPGA design.

Kind regards

Stephan

Avnet Employee (Super Contributor)

Re: Remarks on AvtS6LX9MicroBoard_SW302_PetaLinux

Hello Stephan,

I am glad the PetaLinux design is working for you.  Here are replies to your questions:

1) The steps to program the u-boot bootloader to start automatically on board power up will be added to a future release of this design.  Fopr now, though, you can use the attached batch files as a guide to create your own Linux shell scripts to do this task.

2) This kernel and u-boot image were built using the PetaLinux SDK and thus the source PetaLinux "project" is not redistributable.  The Avnet LX9 MicroBoard is now built-into the PetaLinux tools to make targeting a Linux kernel to this board very easy.  If you would like more information please contact PetaLogix directly.

Best Regards,

Tom

--
Tom Curran
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Tom,

thank you for the files. They worked good for me. Are the ISE project files for the FPGA available or are they also part of the PetaLinux SDK?

narrucmot wrote:

2) This kernel and u-boot image were built using the PetaLinux SDK and thus the source PetaLinux "project" is not redistributable.

I assume you know that the GPL requires to provide access to the source code when distributing GPL software. This, of course, only affects the GPL software (Kernel, u-boot, busybox etc.) and does not apply to possibly non-GPL parts of the SDK.

Kind regards

Stephan

Avnet Employee (Super Contributor)

Hi Stephan,

You can request the GPL sources for the PetaLinux kernel and u-boot image used in this demo directly from PetaLogix.  Avnet does not possess them.

The Xilinx Platform Studio hardware platform that runs the u-boot and PetaLinux kernel images used in this demo were built using the “XPS Source: AVS6LX9MBHP230 v13.1.01 (EDK Required)” hardware platform found on the DRC page for the LX9 board (http://www.em.avnet.com/s6microboard).

Regards,

Tom

--
Tom Curran
Contributor

Thank you for this information, Tom!

Regular Visitor

Here is information on how to boot PetaLinux from SPI flash.

http://svenand.blogdrive.com/archive/141.html

Sven