Regular Visitor

USB-UART PORT-Transfer data

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

So recently i got the S6lx9 and my knowledge on this area is small so try to be patient with me guys. (i already did the tutorials)

The goal is to retrieve data from a sensor through micro-USB, according to the forum it’s possible to transfer data through the USB-UART port.

Using microblaze, how deep do i need to go to retrieve such info? i already did some search and sniff on the usb channel when i have the sensor connected to my pc. I read also how usb protocol works and how UART works.

Do i program anything at vhdl level to get the info or just programing in C will surface? Do i need to build a final state machine to initiate the transfer?

Basically how do i get the info from that port?Is there any work done so i can guide myself with?

Regards

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: USB-UART PORT-Transfer data

I don't understand your setup.

LX9 Board's USB-UART port is plugged into a Windows PC. Correct? Do you have the driver loaded? Can you see the new COM port in the Device Manager? Can you connect a terminal to it and see characters using some of the basic tutorials?

You say the sensor is connected to the PC as well. Is that correct? Normally people working on these types of projects would connect the sensor to the LX9 board, so this is the part that is confusing me.

If the sensor is connected to the PC, then you'd have to use the PC to read the sensor and transfer the data over to the COM for the LX9 UART.

Bryan

Regular Visitor

Sorry for my confusing and English, my bad.

The idea is to connect  a pulse oxymeter sensor to the S6lx9 using the usb-uart port, then process the data and send the result through wifi module to the pc.

For the sensor to start  transmitting the data to the microboard, i will have to write kind of "driver"  on the board right?here is where all my doubts start...

To help me understand what is happening in usb transmition/transfer i installed the software of the sensor on my pc and sniffed the connection between the sensor and the pc.

Regards

Francisco

Based on what you describe, your sensor has a USB interface. Correct? I assume that's how you are able to connect it to your PC.

Bryan

Regular Visitor

Yes the sensor has usb interface (http://www.medicaltestsupply.com/CMS-50D-Plus-Fingertip-Pulse-Oximeter-p/cms-50d-plus.htm).

This sensor allows transmitting real time data through the usb, but this feature is only initiated when i open the software on my pc. This software triggers some request to the sensor so it can start transmitting the data to the pc.

Thanks for the reply.

Francisco

Francisco,

Unfortunately, you will not be able to interace a USB device through the LX9 MicroBoard USB-UART port. You need a full USB host to be able to do that, and one does not exist on the LX9 MicroBoard.

Have you considered upgrading to Xilinx Zynq? The MicroZed evaluation kit gives you a board with a USB host and is capable of running Linux. Connecting that USB-based sensor to MicroZed should not be too difficult. If you are comfortable in Linux, you could retrieve the sensor data through the Processing System. If you wanted to do additional processing on the sensor data, you would then transfer the sensor data from the PS to the PL.

If you don't need to do additional processing on the sensor data in programmable logic, then you may be better served by a microcontroller development board.

Bryan

Regular Visitor

Hi Francisco ,

as pointed out by Brian what you want to do is probably too much for the LX9 microboard. if i can rephrase it.. if your goal is to interface via USB then that will be challenging. if you wanted to interface a sensor directly with I/O pins - say SPI , I2C or any other serial type of interface then this should be easier.

the chain of processing from the sensor to the board is way too long and with too many interface layer in between.

I guess the main challenge for you is to workout what you really want, to replace the PC role or to replace the USB chip on the sensor.. probably it would be much easier to interface a sensor which doesn't have USB chip.

I HTH

Regular Visitor

Hi everyone,

hmmmm so my solutions as i see is either  upgrade my board to one that has a usb port(or at least can handle usb connections) or change the sensor to one that i can access its own "chip/pins".

My goal is to make something portable, small and less uncomfortable during sleep while monitoring the subject.

Seems that choosing another board would be the easiest choice, but will the wifi module of S6lx9 be compatible with Zinq microzed?because i already have it, or should i just look for another sensor?

Thanks for the heads up, it was really helpfull.

Francisco

Highlighted

I'm not sure which WiFi module, but in general, any Pmod that will work with the LX9 will also work with Zynq. Here is the latest WiFi module that we are working on:

http://microzed.org/product/wilink-8-adaptor

Bryan