Highlighted
Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

Linux Drivers - CP2102

Are there Linux drivers for the Spartan-6 / OMAP Co-processing kit?  In general is there linux support for this board, i.e. linux versions of CCS and ISE available?

Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)

Re: Linux Drivers - CP2102

The CP2102 drivers are already integrated into most kernels. We've worked with Ubuntu 10.4 with no problems. See the Getting Started Guide on the site: http://s6.ridgerun.com/ for instructions on connecting the USB-serial port in Linux.  I beleive they use Picocom.  The device usually ends up in /dev/ttyUSB0.

Not sure of ISE, but I know that CCS4.xx does not work on Linux hosts.  Versions of CCS5.x will support both Linux and Windows hosts.

We have been working on systems using virtual machines for the Linux development side, and Windows for the CCS/ISE side of development.  Not the happiest of scenarios, but it works.  CCSv5 on Linux will help solve a lot of those problems.

Regular Visitor

... I thought virtual machines would be the eventual answer.  Thanks for the link, the RideRun site is very helpful.

Glad to help.  The main thing to think about when using virtual machines (or even separate Linux and Windows development machines) is sharing the source trees for DSP/BIOS and Dsplink.   We did this by keeping them on the Linux machine, and using Samba to share the development folder with the Windows machine, which runs CCSv4.  The Windows machine uses the shared headers and source trees to build the .out files. 

Again, not sure about ISE.  I don't work with that as much.  It's possible that Xilinx will support it on Linux hosts, but someone else needs to jump in here.

The Xilinx ISE Design tools will run on Linux.  The OS support matrix is located here:

http://www.xilinx.com/ise/ossupport/index.htm