Regular Visitor

Signal quality in the reference design.

Hello

I recently started working with the ML605 and the DSP Development kit. In order to get used to it I tried running the Getting Started Reference Design. Nevertheless at the beginning I had some issues with the Chipscope finding no cores on the JTAG Chain even after programming. After some research I found out the ISE 13.2 needs the -g next_config_addr to be in "None" instead of "0x00000" which is the option originally chosen in the reference project. This corrected the problem and I was able to fin the cores in Chipscope.
Anyways I go the code running on the FPGA, and kept on following the guide's instructions. The problem is that I expected that at a 61.44 MSps sampling rate of a 384kHz signal would give a clear view of the Sinusoid with good enough resolution but I am getting the following plot in the Bus Plot. (Attached File)

Bus Plot

This plot definitely does not resemble the guide's plot. Any ideas of why Im having this problem?

Thanks in advance

Avnet Employee (Regular Contributor)

Re: Signal quality in the reference design.

Here is an update of the V6 DSP Kit RTL reference design (DUC/DDC), in 13.1 tools with data converters sampling @ 245.76 MHz. Note that DAC3283 is configured for 2X interpolation, for a final output sampling rate of 491.52 MSPS at the output of the DAC. An auto-calibration block adjusts iDelays for incoming ADC data at reset-time based on a test pattern from the ADC, resulting in robust, error-free data capture.

File name: virtex6dsp_rtl_reference_design_tutorial_13_1_Dec31_2011.zip
Website link: https://avnet.egnyte.com/h-s/20111231/45da7d64d94f4230

For measuring spectral purity, I suggest the DUC/DDC be bypassed by setting the 4th DIP switch from the corner (within a bank of 8, labeled ‘GPIO DIP SW’) to ‘ON’, all other DIP switches ‘OFF’ on ML605, as shown in the release notes.

A ChipScope screen capture is attached to this post, and also in the release notes (.PPTX) within the archive, starting at the root folder à RTL\Documentation.

As you mention below, the issue with Chipscope finding no cores on the JTAG chain even after programming may be resolved with the bitgen option -g next_config_addr set to "None" instead of "0x00000". This applies to ISE releases beyond 13.1.

Please note this is a pre-release update to V6 DSP Kit. It will be ported to 13.4 and posted to the DRC with updated documentation in February.

I encourage you to validate this design on the ML605 and report the results here.

regards,

Xilinx_V6_DSP_Kit_Dec_31_Chipscope.jpg
Avnet Employee (Regular Contributor)

The link to the updated V6 DSP Kit reference design mentionned above has been renewed:

File name: virtex6dsp_rtl_reference_design_tutorial_13_1_Dec31_2011.zip
Website link: https://avnet.egnyte.com/h-s/20120214/745d5eb81ccf4278

Contributor

Hello Luc,

I have been working on the update version of this referece design and so far it is working very well.

I would like to ask you something. The DAC output has an output of 1 Vpp. The ADC are configured so that they have an internal 6dB gain which reduces its full scale input range from 2 Vpp to 1 Vpp. If we use the loop back configuration with the reference design should not the digitized samples at the ADC range from -32768 to 32767? That is not what happens. The maximum value of the digitized samples is something around 25000 which gives a 1.3 reduction factor. Do you know the reason for this?

Regards.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been working on the update version of this referece design and so far it is working very well.

I would like to ask you something. The DAC output has an output of 1 Vpp. The ADC are configured so that they have an internal 6dB gain which reduces its full scale input range from 2 Vpp to 1 Vpp. If we use the loop back configuration with the reference design should not the digitized samples at the ADC range from -32768 to 32767? That is not what happens. The maximum value of the digitized samples is something around 25000 which gives a 1.3 reduction factor. Do you know the reason for this?

Does anyone have an answer to that? 

regards

Contributor

Ok, 

I believe this is due to the low pass filter at the output of the DAC.. there is minimum frequency limitation of 3MHz.. I was using a sinusoid at 4MHz. That maybe the reason.. 

regards 

Highlighted
Visitor

Hi Gabriel,

I have encountered the same problem and haven't been able to find a solution.  I tried to change the frequency in order to see if the filtering was a problem, but didn't see better results at other frequencies.  Could you let me know how you fixed the problem?

Thanks,

Rocco

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

I had the same experience as Betotri. The new version of the code solved the problem.